Thursday, March 6, 2008

Stupid People in Good Jobs

Okay, so I am a counselor working with short term programs at a junior college in my area. Most of you know all of this. Most of you probably know that, if you ever went to a JC, most counselors are useless. Apparently this is still true.

It is EXTREMELY competitive here to get a full-time position and they pay REALLY well. I am not complaining about my job because I also get payed very well and I work part-time. Benefits would be nice and more job security would be fantastic but I LOVE my job and hope to enter the competition for full-time in the near future. The problem I have is that a lot of the people that have the full-time jobs have forgotten that they are here for the students. This is why students run around all over the place trying to get an answer that makes sense.

So I saw this student this morning that had been told a number of wrong things from the mainstream counselors on the campus and sent her to see me. It wasn't that hard to see what she needed and I was really irritated that she didn't get the attention she deserved by the other counselors she met with.

The problem is that a good portion of full-time counselors think their job is cushy so they don't do the work that the students need. I swear, if I ever make it to full-time, I am going to be one of the most informed counselors working FOR the students.

0 comments: