Monday, September 20, 2010

Homemade Pet Food

I made two big batches of pet food today. One for the kitties, one for the doggies. All four of them gobbled their dinners up like crazy...especially Mya.

My decision to make their food came after Mya's allergy symptoms have seemingly increased and poor Bjorn is itchy too. I have been thinking about doing this for some time and have done a lot of research regarding the appropriate and inappropriate foods for both dogs and cats. It is kinda tricky to make sure they are getting all the right nutrients but I think I will get better as we go.

I have read that it may take up to 10 weeks to see improvement in symptoms if they are due to a food allergy. We will see. Mya has hot spots under her arms, her tummy is all red and she just seems really uncomfortable. Max even seems a little itchier than he should be. I will be substituting the dry dog food for their new made-with-love-food. The cat food will be a suppliment to the dry. Corbin seems to be fine with the dry food and Bjorn doesn't really eat it too much because of his sensitive tummy. We will see how it goes. My food looks WAY yummier than the canned food they eat now (the Petsmart brand). They cats already get Lysine everyday for their watery eyes.

It is a good sign when all four animals are in the kitchen with you while you are making their food.

So, this is what the doggies have in their food:
Ground Turkey
Brown Rice
Peas and Carrots (blended)
Chicken Liver (blended)
Chicken skin (blended)

This is what the kitties have in their food:
Chicken Thighs
Peas and Carrots
Chicken Liver
Chicken Skin (everything blended/chopped)

Yum Yum!!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

You are a champ, what a bunch of work. If you dont stick with it try Merrick Pet food, does great for that kind of stuff.

keri said...

I'll check them out, thanks!

Advantage For Dogs said...

Home made food is always good for your pets. I mostly use it. But still sometimes i take foods for my pets from market as there are so many verities are available.